Friday, January 16, 2009

A tribute to Friendships

When I was 5, I remember trying to please my peers, claiming I had a huge collection of stickers and color pencils. The day came when I had to share my collection with them and they unfortunately they were disappointed because it was not good enough. Since then they rejected my company.

When I was 10 years of age, I still kept my willingness to please my “friends” because of the urge to be accepted. The “leader” of the pack would ask me to do this, that and all sorts of nonsense…and being ignorant I did as I was told. I had a crush on a guy but diligently tried to suppress that feeling because she liked him too. I remembered hitting him hard on the back to prove that I treated him as one of my “chi mui”...how embarrassing!

From the age of 15 onwards, I declared not to be anyone’s’ fool!

And fortunately enough I met people who sincerely wanted to be my friend. Not because I had long hair. Not because I was chubby. Not because I had a huge collection of Pooh merchandise. They liked and accepted me because I am me. For once, these people treated me as equals. I am extremely blessed to have so many good friends that care for me. Even though I get on their nerves by making ridiculous jokes, they laughed with me. Even though I was ignorant and naïve they guided me through my obstacles, hand in hand, without judgment. Even though I am a horrible cook, they ate without complaint. Even though I tend to be an ass, they would forgive me…

Remember the time when we ponteng school to get our ears pierced; the time when we snuck out in the middle of a sleepover to throw rotten eggs at some guy’s house; the Halloween party where we had to dress up like dead people; the time when we starved ourselves so that we could indulge in a large pizza the next day…

How about the time when we squeezed into my mom’s proton to get to Sunway and celebrate New Years Eve; the “Bye Bye Bye” dance that was the highlight among our embarrassing performances; the “meetings” that we had as an excuse to hang out together; eating ice cream at Genting and letting the cold night breeze blow against us to see who can survive the longest; our chatting sessions in the car after a devotional; the concert that we planned and performed at that school; the two weeks intensive teaching campaign at the center...

And the times when we would sit a stare at the starry sky and weep in awe of its beauty; the time when we took a train and explored Sydney suburbs, got lost, and accidentally stumbled upon a highly rated Indian restaurant; the time when we went for go-karting and I somehow managed to get into the top 10 drivers because I was a slow and safe driver; the Thursday evening Malaysian Society meetings; the chopping onion lessons ; the Lamb Vindalu and Chicken curry cooking lessons; the time when I accidentally burst out saying "I have a life..OK!" and will never hear the end of it; ...

As my future unfolds, I am more than certain that more memories will be added here.

Isn’t it amazing how little people did notice when all their lives they had been encouraged to ignore anything worth noticing? ...I guess I am just saying that we tend to take friendships for granted. We may strive to gain favor from one and at the same time neglect another...

Here are some pictures of memorable times...


Roya & I -- Countless embarrassing stunts we did when we were growing up! Its amazing that we turned out sane... ;)






Sabina & I -- Another gila one like Roya & myself. Hmm...maybe we should be the Dynamic Trio of Subang! Our specialty will be our contagious laughter! People won't even know what hit them as they laugh along with total ignorance of the situation.





From left: Shamir, Joshua, me, Ruhullah, Chia Sin and Mitra -- Street dancing! Need I say more...?








Ren Yi -- What are you doing in my kitchen??
Oh yea...you're helping me cook for the 20 friends who invited themselves over for a 3 course meal. How nice of you...for once! ;)














Ah Mei and Su Yin aka Hamster and GuineaPig...and myself the seal! Org Org =^.^=










Carny -- only recently added into our "chi mui-ship". :)









From left: Edison, Vivianne, Salina, Junda, me, Diane, Mo and Shaun.
The Making Activities Super Awesome Gang! ;)



Jenny & I -- An unexpected friendship, I must say. It started with Jenny being my boss (Ms.Boss) and how fortunate of me to discover a friend I can be extremely random with. I do apologize for my annoying-ness but look on the bright side, it means I am comfortable with you! Hahahahha... ;D


Friends are forever - - I shall publically accept this universally used statement. ;)

3 comments:

mimpiiii said...

i luved this post!
n yeah i do rmbr all those stuff!!

oh gosh..pekie..thanks for being me wonderfull fren..i dunoo what life would've been witout u la.. serious ok.. cuz now i really feel yr absence ...
i miss u la dear!

peka-lynna said...

I miss you too Roya! sniff sniff...

Ruhul said...

lol@"meetings"...