Monday, November 5, 2007

Heartless generation!

Okay...so there I was...walking down the street, singing da de da, ta da, dam da de de dam...

I came across a person on my way home one day, and noticed that he was limping. I sincerely felt sad for him and wondered where his family was, whether they are waiting for him at the corner of the road or dashed to buy something at the near by shops...

Being me, I walked behind him (you can say I was stalking him for a while) wondering where he was going, what he was up to, what is he going to eat for lunch, whether his Ferrari was parked at the corner of the road or if he may need help crossing the road...

I felt pity. I do not like that feeling as I am a strong believer that no one person should be looked down upon, it is never known to us our capability and all we can do is persevere and do our best! In any case, who are we (am I) to judge a person?!

So, I decided to overtake him and walk home without looking back.

A few days later, when I was having coffee at my favorite Starbucks cafe, drinking my favorite drink - Vanilla Soy Lattle, I heard people screaming and angry shouting. Everything happened so fast, my mind was racing to depict what was happening before my eyes.

An old man (who looked strangely familiar) was running away from a group of young Chinese men, needless to say, they were the ones shouting. They caught up to this man and started whacking him. He dropped to the ground. A hand phone fell off his hand. One of the young men picked it up and continued shouting in vulgar languages. They continued to kick him. He was curled up on the floor trying to protect this head and stomach. Security guards came. They stopped them and pulled the old man up. I was about to tear hence I turned away.

The experience was daunting! I hate seeing people being hurt - may it be physically or emotionally! It is not our place to hurt another person! Nor is it our right to disrespect people who are less advantage than us! I hate the thought that this world is filled with generations who posses a cold heart and most of all I hate that I did not do anything about it!

A prayer for guidance:

I adjure Thee by Thy might, O my God! Let no harm beset me in times of tests, and in moments of heedlessness guide my steps aright through Thine inspiration. (Compilations, Baha'i Prayers, p. 28)

No comments: